Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why I'm not jumping into 'The Deep End'

/ On : 7:05 AM/ Terimakasih telah menyempatkan waktu untuk berkunjung di BLOG saya yang sederhana ini. Semoga memberikan manfaat meski tidak sebesar yang Anda harapakan. untuk itu, berikanlah kritik, saran dan masukan dengan memberikan komentar. Jika Anda ingin berdiskusi atau memiliki pertanyaan seputar artikel ini, silahkan hubungan saya lebih lanjut via e-mail di herdiansyah_hamzah@yahoo.com.
Because I took off yesterday and am mostly taking off today, I didn't have the time to write a column review of ABC's "The Deep End" (which premieres tonight at 8), but even if I had the time, I wouldn't have much enthusiasm to write about it.

Basically, "The Deep End" is "Grey's Anatomy" with lawyers, and the execution is as cynical and flat as that premise sounds. There are a couple of actors I like (as a "Veronica Mars" fan, I believe I'm legally obligated to root for Tina Majorino to succeed, I always enjoy Clancy Brown and I appreciate that the producers didn't mess around and instead simply cast Billy Zane to play the Billy Zane role of the firm's amoral jerk of a managing partner), but the humor feels forced and there aren't any moments in the pilot akin to the more powerful/poetic scenes on "Grey's" (or, for that matter, on a David E. Kelley show when Kelley manages to stay out of his own way). It's just a bunch of attractive people in suits saying the same lines we've seen a thousand times before on shows like this.

One of the producers is David Hemingson, whose "Kitchen Confidential" I really enjoyed, so I may check back in on the show in a few weeks. But nothing I saw in the pilot has me wanting to make room for it on an incredibly crowded Thursday lineup. (If I want to add a show on that night, I'll start watching "Bones" or "Survivor" again.)

Feel free to discuss the pilot here tonight after it airs.

No comments:

Post a Comment